Tightening up the Reigns  

Posted by: Charity Gordon




I tend to be a bit of a push over sometimes. I don't like confrontation or tension. I also tend to take the weight of the whole world on my shoulders. Putting all responsibilities on myself and allowing others to place responsibilities on me. Which can be overwhelming and paralyzing all at the same time. I am wising up though and giving back some of the responsibilities to others. EVERYTHING is not my responsibility. As I realize that some of the weight is lifted and I no longer feel paralyzed freeing me to get at that which is my responsibilities with ease. I could write a whole other post on this subject.



As I tighten the reigns on some of my responsibilities I too am tighten the reigns of responsibility on my children.





On an earlier post Gearing Up For Better Habits Than the Average Kitty I shared about working on my habits and routines. Now I am working on getting my children to get the same concept. They don't have a long list like mine. The each have a territory, one daughter the dinning room, the other daughters territory is the bathroom, my toddler and I worked together on the living room, that they are in charge of. My girls also have kitty litters to change (they each have their own kitty so they each have a litter to change) and they must keep there rooms clean. My son help me with my little guy as part of his routine plus he must keep his room clean. If they do their chores for 21 days straight they get $21 dollars. They can also change one of their routines and choose a different chore from a list if they want.



I would like to say things are running smoothly but they are not. Though I don't expect it too until we reach 21 days. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. Just as it is hard for me to stay on top of things consistently it is the same for our children. So just because it is hard doesn't mean we need to quit and try something else. No we must keep at it. Things WILL get easier. Might have to critique little things here and there but mostly just keep at it. There will be obstacles, that is OK jump them :)



I let the children know what is expected of them and that once they get to 21 days they will be rewarded and things will be so much easier. No nagging no yelling some gentle reminders here and there. So far two of my children weren't doing their chores. So I kept track..1day...2days...3days...OK time for consequences. Now they are unable to do their favorite things for three days. For them they can not get on the computer for three days. If they continue not to do chores then I keep adding another day. One of them is getting back on track the other is being a bit more stubborn. That's OK I am sticking to the reigns for her and for myself. We are all going to have off days and forming good habits never come easy. It will take training and patience for all of us. Must keep going....



I have another child who has done her work three days in a row. It will take work for us all to get to that 21 days (and of course keep going) but if we tighten up the reigns and keep at them we will get there and things will get so much easier. One because it will just become a habit and two, keeping it up daily means less build up. So Getty up lets go :)





Thanks for stopping by RroadWeTravel

While your at it how about blog hopping :)

This entry was posted on 7:39 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment