Waiting For Results  

Posted by: Charity Gordon






Monday 2 of my boys 16 year old and soon to be 3 yr old, had biopsy done of their small intestine to see if they have celiac disease. They went through the mouth and down the throat took pictures and took 6 pieces of the intestines. Its considered a day surgery. The procedures for both of them went very well. No complications. At Children Medical center in Plano they were very nice and took well care of them. They explained to my 16 year old all that they were going to do and made sure he felt comfortable. They did all they could do to prepare my toddler and help him not be afraid. They even gave his Mickey somethings they would do to him while he was awake. Since he has a hard time parting from me they allowed me to go with him and stay with him until he fell asleep. I was glad my husband was able to be there so he was able to stay with my 16 year old while getting IV while I was with little man. They finished with him pretty quick. While they were trying to put an IV in my 16 year old before they were even done with that they were done with my little man. They had to give my 16 year old cortisone through IV because he also has Addisons disease. So when are adrenaline is pumping extra during surgery his is not so he has to have something extra to replace that. He take cortef pills at home and needed it through the IV for the procedure. Both boys also have T1 diabetes so they had to keep close watch of their BG. They also gave them both IV to keep fluids in them to make sure they did not get dehydrated. I held my little guy when he woke up and waited for his brother to come in. They both had water and Popsicle to get fluids in them and help with sore throat. After they saw that they were able to keep fluids in them without getting sick we were able to go home. Oh I forgot right after the procedure was done with each of them the doctor showed us some pictures that he took of the small intestine. There was three or four pictures of the intestine taken from each child. My little man had one picture that appeared to have some damaged tissue and possible ulcer. Ulcers are sometimes due to Chron's disease. My 16 year olds look really damaged and seemed to have odd color but the color could be due to his meds that he has to take. The doctor said you really can't tell from the picture to be sure we would need to wait for the results from the lab. The pictures at time can be hard to really tell. Like what appears to be ulcer may not. He said that we would get results as late as a week but could get them before then. He said typically you get results before then. It is Wednesday and we continue to wait........we pray that they do not have an added thing to their already full plate. My 16 year old has three autoimmune diseases (Addisons disease, Type 1 diabetes and hashimoto's disease already and my toddler has Type 1 diabetes.) Oh how I love my children and wish I could carry their burdens!!!!

Here is a link about celiac and the procedures if you would like to learn more about celiac disease http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_diagnosis.php

I will post about the results when I get them..........Thanks for stopping by

This entry was posted on 5:00 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment